Disclaimer | This article may contain affiliate links, this means that at no cost to you, we may receive a small commission for qualifying purchases.
The invention of the internet has revolutionised the way the world works, more so than any other technological development in the past century. And while the invention of the telegraph, the telephone, the radio, television and then computers set the scene, it was the creation of the internet that has allowed for the digital revolution we are living today.
The internet is a medium for connected collaboration and instant interaction between individuals regardless of their geographic location. By making the world smaller, the internet allows ideas to become bigger, with fewer restraints to hold them back.
While the earliest concepts of the internet began in the United States, it was the work of UK scientists and engineers that made it possible to expand the technology beyond simple messaging. The connection between US research, and the work of UK researchers Donald Davies and Tim Berners Lee, was the foundation of the modern-day internet and sparked the creation of the world wide web.
Bee Breeders architecture competition organisers are therefore asking architects and designers to submit ideas for the London Internet Museum – a location that would connect visitors to both the history of the internet and open them to the possibilities of its future. The chosen site in London is the now-closed North Woolwich Old Station Museum, which was housed in the original Great Eastern Railway terminal station building.
- Early Bird Registration: FEBRUARY 3 – MARCH 2, 2016
- Advance Registration: MARCH 3 – APRIL 6, 2016
- Last Minute Registration: APRIL 7 – MAY 4, 2016
- Closing date for registration: MAY 4, 2016
- Closing date for submission: MAY 18, 2016 (11.59pm GMT)
- Announcement of the winners: JUNE 1, 2016
3 winning proposals and 6 honourable mentions will be selected. Bee Breeders architecture competition organisers will award a total of US $5,000 in prize money to competition winners as follows:
- 1st prize winner – US $3,000
- 2nd prize winner – US $1,500
- 3rd prize winner – US $500
- Early Bird Registration: US $70 / US $50
- Advance Registration: US $90 / US $70
- Last Minute Registration: US $120 / US $90