Disclaimer | This article may contain affiliate links, this means that at no cost to you, we may receive a small commission for qualifying purchases.
The competition looks at offering a wide range of architectural proposals that might transform this uninhabited island into a campus of excellence open to citizens and tourists joining here several cultural, sport and leisure activities.
Only few settings can boast the charm of a desert island. From Mompracem to Robinson Crusoe, the island is a place of adventure, exile and shipwreck. Failure and salvation at the same time – the place of the unconscious before being a real geographic site – an island is the place where people challenge themselves getting used to silence and nature, face amazing challenges.
In one of the most charming places in the world, a few kilometers far from San Marco’s bell tower in Venice, a fascinating authentic island skimmed by waters, emerges shyly: Poveglia.
Despite its area extent and beauty that mark the difference between Poveglia and the other lagoon islands, over the last years this incomparable gemstone had to undergo, a disastrous decline. Without any connection to the mainland, abandoned for almost 50 years, today in Poveglia a thick vegetation has grown wild affecting every cultivation and crushing every architecture.
Venice has never completely forgot Poveglia, but its citizens stopped visiting the island over time has become a natural setting for the grimmest tales and fantastic rumors. But, this situation will soon change. The Italian Government – the owner of the estate – has lately put a spotlight on Poveglia, in order to make a reuse of the island possible.
In the wake of this purpose, YAC launches University Island, a project to transform Poveglia into a dream university campus; a place of training, leisure and relax for the many students gathering in Venice.
How to transform a desert island into a spearheading study and research center? Which architecture should be integrated in one of the most delightful locations in the Venetian Lagoon in order to create an international campus to equal the value of one of the most stunning cities in the world?
On these questions, YAC, with the support of RIAM, lays the foundations for University Island inviting all the designers to feel completely fascinated by the magnificence of one of the most breathtaking places of the Venetian Lagoon and to plan a new future composed by activities, good attendance and the vitality of thousands of students who every year choose Venice as an esteemed location for their studies.
- First Prize: 10 000 € – Publication on architectural magazines and websites + exposition + 1 year subscription CASABELLA
- Second Prize: 4 000 € – Publication on architectural magazines and websites + exposition + 1 year subscription CASABELLA
- Third Prize: 2 000 € – Publication on architectural magazines and websites + exposition + 1 year subscription CASABELLA
- 4 Gold Mentions: 1 000 € – Publication on architectural magazines and websites + exposition + 1 year subscription CASABELLA
Schedule & Fees
- Early Bird Registration: March 6 2016 – April 13 2016; 75 €/Team
- Standard Registration: April 13 2016 – May 11 2016; 100 €/Team
- Late Registration: May 11 2016 – June 8 2016; 150 €/Team
- Material Submission Deadline: June 15 2016
- Results Announcement: July 29 2016
- Award Ceremony: September 5 2016