Disclaimer | This article may contain affiliate links, this means that at no cost to you, we may receive a small commission for qualifying purchases.
Several urban practitioners tends to define semantic and urban categories trying to control possible derives existing outside ordinary and everyday practices, transit in a terrific and kaleidoscope variation of commonly used perceptions. Moreover, architecture and urbanism often look forward the investigation of alternatives cognitive grids to look to the city beyond traditional cultural mechanisms, giving continuously sense to the of renovation of the discipline. It means looking through what is good and what is bad, what is right and wrong, beautiful or not, conformist or anarchic.
The word terrific went to a changing process which took a couple of centuries; first a situation of terror, than something extremely huge now something amazing. STUDIO 011 TERRIFIC wants to explore the meaning relationship and etymological expansion which characterized the city project. Which are the dazed, extravagant, curious, unpredictable, attractive and also immoral and narcotic situations that give sense to urban changes? Which micro-situations of the human geography can potentially trigger huge transformation processes and considered in a positive or negative way among time? Which semantic changes of concepts are able to represent huge revolutionary trajectories in the architectural and urban practices?
STUDIO 011 TERRIFIC refers to those practices, concept, theories and institutional arrangements which knew radical changes over time, vibrantly reconfiguring the meaning of sense of architectural products and city development.
Contributions may be submitted in different forms – essays, photographic essay, illustrations, data visualizations, case studies and projects, interviews, comic strips and even novels – exploring the issue in any field of design: architecture, urbanism, art, photography, graphic design, film… etc.
STAGE 01 (Abstract) – September 12th 2016
- Contributors are asked to send a 200-word abstract about the proposal.
- The abstract must be written in English
- Maximum size of the submission (image included if present): 2MB
STAGE 02 (Final Piece) – October 12th 2016
Selected contributors are asked to send the final piece, following the guidelines below:
- Essays, interviews and novels should not exceed 3.000 words maximum.
- All texts have to be submitted digitally in Microsoft Word (.doc).
- The piece must be written both in English and in the Original language.
- Photographic essays, illustrations, projects…etc. should be sent with a 500 words
- All images have to be submitted full color (CMYK), in either JPEG or TIFF format (300 ppi,
- All drawings have to be submitted full color, in PDF format.
- For every image/graphic include illustration source, name of photographer/artist and the
authorization of copyright holder.
A short biography of the author/s (max. 50 words)
- STAGE 01: September 12th 2016
- STAGE 02: October 12th 2016
- PUBLICATION: November 2016