HKS Inc. is a global design firm specializing in architecture, interior design, research, and urban planning. It was founded in 1939 by Harwood K. Smith, a painter and architect from Chicago. The firm has worked on projects such as the North Torrey Pines Living and Learning Neighborhood, the SoFi Stadium, and the Center for Health Design. HKS has a history of delivering innovative and sustainable solutions for public and private clients. It has won several awards for its design excellence, including the COTE Top Ten, the Fast Company Most Innovative Companies, and the World Architecture Festival Award. The firm also conducts design research to improve its practice and address the challenges of the 21st century. HKS has a mission to create places that build trust, inspire, and empower people and communities. It also aims to conserve and rejuvenate the natural resources of the planet. The firm has a diverse and interdisciplinary team of professionals, including architects, interior designers, researchers, urban designers, nurses, anthropologists, and graphic designers. It has offices in 27 locations worldwide, such as London, Singapore, and Dubai, and is headquartered in Dallas, Texas.
What is HKS Inc.?
HKS Inc. is the name of an international design firm that offers architectural, interior design, planning, and advisory services. It has 27 locations worldwide and more than 1,300 professionals from various disciplines. The firm is known for its design excellence and innovation in creating places that delight, heal, and stimulate peak performance. HKS Architecture has worked on projects such as the UC San Diego Living and Learning Neighborhood, which won the 2023 COTE Top Ten Award for sustainable design, and the SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles, which was honored at the 2022 World Architecture Festival. HKS Architecture also focuses on environmental, social, and governance issues, research, and inclusion in the design industry.
What is the history of HKS Inc.?
HKS Inc. is an international architecture firm founded in 1939 by Harwood K. Smith. Harwood K. Smith was a talented painter who studied at the Chicago School of the Art Institute. He decided to pursue architecture as his career and moved to Dallas, Texas, to start his practice. He established HKS in 1939 and built a reputation for designing innovative and functional buildings. In 2002, HKS expanded its global presence by opening an office in Mexico City to serve its Latin American clients. The firm also acquired other architectural firms to increase its expertise and reach in different markets. In 2006, HKS bought the Stein-Cox Group and Trinity Design, which gave the firm offices in Phoenix, Arizona, and Detroit, Michigan. In 2007, HKS acquired Hill Glazier Architects, a hospitality design firm based in Palo Alto, California. In 2008, HKS opened offices in Abu Dhabi and São Paulo, Brazil, and in 2010, it opened an office in Shanghai, China. The firm also launched the Center for Advanced Design and Evaluation, a nonprofit research group to explore new design solutions and technologies. In 2011, HKS continued to grow by acquiring Maregatti Interiors, an interior design firm in Indianapolis, and Earl Walls Studios, a science and technology design firm in San Diego. The firm also opened new locations in Chicago, Denver, New York, and New Delhi. In 2012, HKS acquired HADP Architecture, an educational design firm in Miami. In 2014, the firm celebrated its 75th anniversary with a public campaign that showcased its legacy and vision. In 2017, HKS expanded its footprint in New York City by acquiring a design studio. Today, the firm employs more than 1000 people and has completed projects worth more than $69 billion. Some of the firm’s notable projects include the AT&T Stadium, the U.S. Bank Stadium, the Atlantis Paradise Island Hotel, and the Bank of America Corporate Center.
Where is HKS Inc. located?
HKS Inc. is an international architecture firm that has offices in many countries. It is headquartered in Dallas, Texas. Some of its other offices are in London, UK, Atlanta, USA, Brisbane, Australia, and Dubai, UAE.
What does HKS Inc. focus on building?
HKS Inc. is a global design firm offering various services, including architecture, interior design, planning, and advisory. It focuses on building places that are beautiful, functional, and sustainable. The firm designs various projects, such as health care, hospitality, sports, education, commercial, residential, and mixed-use developments. HKS Architecture aims to create a better future through design. It believes that design can inspire new ideas and ways of life and deliver lasting value to owners, investors, users, and the community. The firm also respects the environment and strives to minimize the environmental impact of its projects. It uses research, innovation, and collaboration to achieve design excellence and solve complex challenges.
Who is the owner of HKS Inc.?
The owner of HKS Inc. is Harwood K. Smith. Harwood K. Smith was a talented painter who studied at the Chicago School of the Art Institute. He decided to pursue architecture as his career and moved to Dallas, Texas, to start his practice. He established HKS in 1939 and built a reputation for designing innovative and functional buildings.
Who is the CEO of HKS Inc.?
The CEO of HKS Inc. is Dan Noble, an architect and a leader in the global design industry. He has been the president and CEO of HKS since 2014 and has led the firm to win numerous awards and recognition from various organizations. He has also been involved in many prestigious projects, such as the UC San Diego Living and Learning Neighborhood, which won the 2023 COTE Top Ten Award for sustainable design. He is a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects and the American College of Healthcare Architects and a past president of the AIA Academy of Architecture for Health.
What is the mission of HKS Inc.?
The mission of HKS Inc. is to inspire and empower the people and communities who encounter their work. They also aim to preserve and respect natural resources by creating places that conserve and rejuvenate the planet. They believe that design is a way of thinking that can uncover hidden opportunities and make meaningful changes.
What are the most famous projects of HKS Inc.?
Listed below are the most famous projects created by HKS Inc.:
- SoFi Stadium: SoFi Stadium is a multi-purpose stadium and entertainment complex designed by HKS in Inglewood, California. It is the home of the Los Angeles Rams and Los Angeles Chargers of the National Football League (NFL). It has a capacity of 70,000 seats, which can be expanded to 100,000 for special events. It features a transparent roof, a 360-degree video board, and a 6-acre (2.4-hectare) lake. It opened in 2020 and hosted the Super Bowl LVI in 2022.
- Atlantis Paradise Island Hotel: Atlantis Paradise Island Hotel is a luxury resort and water park on Paradise Island in the Bahamas. It is themed around the mythical lost city of Atlantis and features a variety of attractions, such as aquariums, slides, pools, beaches, casinos, restaurants, and spas. It has over 3,000 rooms and suites, some underwater or with ocean views. It was designed by HKS in collaboration with Kerzner International and opened in 1998.
- U.S. Bank Stadium: U.S. Bank Stadium is a domed stadium designed by HKS in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It is the home of the Minnesota Vikings of the NFL. It has a capacity of 66,655 seats, which can be expanded to 73,000 for special events. It features a partly transparent fixed roof, allowing natural light to enter. It also has large pivoting glass doors open to a plaza and a downtown view. It opened in 2016 and hosted the Super Bowl LII in 2018.
- Four Seasons Bodrum: Four Seasons Bodrum is a luxury hotel and resort in Bodrum, Turkey. It is located on a peninsula overlooking the Aegean Sea and offers a secluded and serene setting. It has 146 rooms and suites, some with private pools or terraces. It also has a spa, a fitness center, a beach club, a marina, and dining options. It was designed by HKS in collaboration with EAA-Emre Arolat Architecture and opened in 2021.
- Children’s Hospital of Richmond Pavilion at Virginia Commonwealth University: Children’s Hospital of Richmond Pavilion at Virginia Commonwealth University is a pediatric hospital and academic medical center in Richmond, Virginia, USA. It is the region’s largest and most comprehensive children’s hospital, providing care for more than 60,000 patients annually. It has 16 floors and 640,000 square feet (59,000 square meters), including 212 beds, 12 operating rooms, a trauma center, a neonatal intensive care unit, and a rooftop garden. It was designed by HKS in collaboration with HDR and opened in 2020.
Who are the most important clients of HKS Inc.?
Listed below are the most important clients in cooperation with HKS Inc.:
- SoFi Stadium: SoFi Stadium is a multi-purpose stadium and entertainment complex in Inglewood, California. It is the home of the Los Angeles Rams and Los Angeles Chargers of the National Football League (NFL). HKS designed the stadium to be the most technologically advanced and sustainable venue in the world, with a translucent roof, an immersive video board, and a seating capacity of 70,000.
- Orlando Health/Orlando Regional Medical Center: Orlando Health/Orlando Regional Medical Center is a network of hospitals and healthcare facilities in Orlando, Florida. HKS has been involved in several projects for the organization, including the expansion and renovation of the Level One Trauma Center, the design of the Winnie Palmer Hospital for Women & Babies, and the master plan for the downtown campus.
- U.S. Bank Stadium: U.S. Bank Stadium is a multi-purpose stadium in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It is the home of the Minnesota Vikings of the NFL. HKS designed the stadium to reflect the city’s culture, climate, and context, with a sloped roof, a transparent facade, and a large plaza. The stadium also features the largest ETFE roof in North America and the largest operable glass doors in the world.
- Phoenix Children’s Hospital: Phoenix Children’s Hospital is a pediatric hospital in Phoenix, Arizona. It is one of the country’s largest and most comprehensive children’s hospitals, with over 70 specialties and programs. HKS designed the hospital to create a healing environment for children and families, with a colorful and playful exterior, a spacious and light-filled lobby, and various amenities and services.
- Bass Hall: Bass Hall is a performing arts center in Fort Worth, Texas. It is the permanent home of the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra, the Texas Ballet Theater, the Fort Worth Opera, and the Cliburn. HKS designed the hall to be a landmark for the city, with a classical exterior, a grand lobby, and a state-of-the-art auditorium. The hall also features an 80-foot (24-meter) diameter Great Dome, one of the world’s largest self-supporting domes.
What is the address of HKS Inc.?
HKS Inc. is an international architecture firm that has offices in many countries. It is headquartered at 350 North St. Paul Street Ste 100, Dallas, TX 75201, United States.
What is the contact phone number of HKS Inc.?
HKS Inc. has offices in many countries. Its Dallas headquarters contact phone number is (214) 969-5599.
How do I apply to work for HKS Inc.?
Applicants must follow these steps to apply to work for HKS Inc. Firstly, one must explore the career opportunities at HKS through their website. Applicants can find positions in different locations and fields of expertise or learn more about their culture, values, and benefits. Secondly, submit the resume and portfolio online through their application system. Applicants should highlight their skills, experience, and achievements relevant to the position that they are applying for. Lastly, applicants need to wait for their response and follow their instructions. If the firm is interested in their profile, they will contact the applicant for an interview or a test.
What style of architecture does HKS represent?
HKS does not have a single style of architecture but rather adapts to the needs and preferences of each client and project. Its work incorporates sustainability, innovation, research, and design excellence elements. Some examples of the firm’s projects are the U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, inspired by ice formations and Viking longboats, and the HKS Singapore Office, renovated from a traditional shophouse with a blend of East and West influences.
How important is it for architecture firms to follow the architecture fundamentals?
Architecture firms must follow the architecture fundamentals because they help ensure that the buildings they design are functional, aesthetically pleasing, and culturally appropriate. Architecture fundamentals are the basic principles and guidelines that architects use to create harmonious and balanced structures that meet the needs of their users and the environment. These principles help architects organize their buildings’ spaces, materials, and forms coherently and effectively.
Should all architecture companies have a portfolio?
Yes, all architecture companies should have a portfolio. A portfolio is a key factor in a potential client’s decision to hire an architecture firm, as it visually represents its capabilities and experience. It demonstrates an architecture firm’s skills and creativity and can help establish a reputation and communicate effectively with clients. Without a portfolio, an architecture firm may lose opportunities to showcase its work and attract new projects. It is an essential tool for any architecture firm that wants to succeed in the competitive and dynamic field of architecture.