Stantec Architecture operates within the global design and delivery firm Stantec Inc., offering a wide array of professional consulting services in planning, engineering, architecture, and more. The architecture practice integrates seamlessly with other Stantec disciplines with a collaborative approach, providing comprehensive design solutions across commercial, healthcare, education, and residential sectors. Stantec Inc. stands out for its global reach, boasting over 350 registered architects stationed across 400 locations on six continents. The firm is recognized for its commitment to smart and sustainable design principles, contributing to projects that range from large-scale developments to community-focused initiatives. The roots of Stantec Inc. trace back to D.R. Stanley & Associates, an engineering consulting firm founded in 1954 in Edmonton, Canada. Over the decades, Stantec has expanded significantly through strategic acquisitions and organic growth, becoming one of North America’s premier architecture and design firms. The firm’s journey includes pivotal moments such as adopting a unified brand identity in 1998, achieving top 10 global design firm status in 2017, and refocusing on professional services consulting by divesting its construction division in 2018. Stantec Architecture now operates as an integrated division alongside various other disciplines within the Stantec framework. Stantec Inc.’s portfolio spans many building types, including civic, cultural, educational, healthcare, industrial, and residential projects. The company strongly emphasizes human-centric design principles, aiming to enhance the quality of life, connectivity, and efficiency in the communities it serves. Through a collaborative design process and a multidisciplinary approach, Stantec Inc. consistently delivers innovative and sustainable solutions tailored to the specific needs of clients and end-users. The firm’s architectural ethos focuses on positively impacting society and the built environment by fostering creativity and community engagement. Stantec Inc.’s commitment to diversity is reflected in its comprehensive services covering planning, programming, conceptual design, schematics, design development, and construction administration. The firm’s expertise extends across commercial, institutional, healthcare, education, aviation, civic, sports, and industrial sectors. Stantec’s integrated approach, combining architectural and engineering expertise, ensures highly efficient and high-performing building design, making the firm a key player in the global design and consulting landscape.
What is Stantec Inc?
Stantec Inc. is a global design and delivery firm providing professional consulting services in planning, engineering, architecture, interior design, landscape architecture, surveying, environmental sciences, project management, and project economics for infrastructure and facilities projects. The architecture practice collaborates with Stantec’s other disciplines, like engineering and environmental services, to provide integrated design solutions on projects. Stantec Inc. has designed buildings across many sectors, including commercial, institutional, healthcare, education, residential, retail, aviation, civic, transportation, sports, and more. They have over 350 registered architects worldwide working out of Stantec’s over 400 locations across six continents.
Stantec’s signature architectural projects include the Telus Sky tower in Calgary, the tallest building in Canada outside Toronto, the Walterdale Bridge replacement in Edmonton, and the Edmonton Clinic Health Academy. Stantec frequently collaborates on design competitions and joint venture projects with prominent architecture firms. For example, Stantec partnered with Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects to design the Calgary Cancer Centre and Kohn Pedersen Fox on the One Vanderbilt supertall skyscraper in New York City. Stantec Inc. brings an integrated design approach focusing on sustainability and resiliency. Their guiding design principles are based on smart solutions that build stronger, more resilient communities.
What is the history of Stantec Inc.?
Stantec Inc. originated from D.R. Stanley & Associates, an engineering consulting firm founded in Edmonton, Canada, in 1954 by Dr. Don Stanley. Stanley focused on water and sewer projects in small rural towns across western Canada before expanding into transportation, bridge design, and international work in Malaysia and Jamaica by the 1960s. The company continued diversifying its services and geographic reach over the next several decades through organic growth and acquisitions. Some of the firms acquired during this period that formed today’s architecture capabilities included Inner Dimension Design Associates (2003), Dunlop Architects (2004), and Anshen + Allen (2010). In 1998, the company adopted a unified Stantec brand identity. Stantec pursued a strategy to become a top 10 global design firm, acquiring over 100 firms since its first acquisition in 1976. In 2016, Stantec made its largest acquisition – MWH Global, a 6,800-person engineering and construction firm. This expanded Stantec’s expertise significantly in the water sector and grew its global footprint. Stantec hit its goal of becoming one of the top 10 global design firms in 2017. In 2018, the company divested its construction division to return to its roots as a pure-play professional services consulting firm focused on design.
Where is Stantec Inc. located?
Stantec’s headquarters is 400-10220 103 Street, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J0K4, Canada. Their headquarters phone number is 1 780 9177000. Stantec has over 400 offices located across North America. Some of their major US office locations include Plano, Texas at 6080 Tennyson Parkway, Suite 200, Plano, Texas 75024; Houston, Texas at 910 Louisiana Street, Suite 2600; Houston, Texas 77002, San Antonio, Texas at 70 NE Loop 410, Suite 1116, San Antonio, Texas 78216, Austin, Texas at 1905 Aldrich Street, Suite 300, Austin, Texas 78723 and New York, New York: 475 Fifth Avenue, 12th Floor, New York, New York 10017. They also have international offices in Australia, Belgium, the Caribbean, China, the Czech Republic, Germany, India, Italy, Latin America, the Middle East, Netherlands, New Zealand, Slovakia, Taiwan, Turkiye, and the United Kingdom.
What does Stantec Inc. focus on building?
Stantec focuses on civic, cultural, educational, healthcare, industrial, residential, retail, hospitality, science and technology, sports and recreation, transportation, urban development, water, and workplace projects. They provide integrated architecture, interior design, engineering, environmental sciences, project management, and economics services. At the core of Stantec’s architectural practice is a commitment to foster community and creativity through their building projects. Their collaborative design process aims to produce innovative, sustainable, and contextually appropriate solutions tailored to their client’s needs and end users. Rather than any building type or sector, Stantec focuses on elevating architecture’s role in bettering society. They approach each project to enhance well-being, connectivity, efficiency, and overall quality of life. This human-centric design ethos ultimately drives the diversity of their architectural portfolio.
Who is the owner of Stantec Inc.?
Stantec was founded in 1954 in Edmonton, Alberta, by Dr. Don Stanley. Originally starting as a one-person firm, Dr. Stanley sent out 600 letters and drove over 17,000 miles visiting small communities in western Canada looking for engineering work related to water and sewer systems. Over the next decade, the company grew to about 30 employees and expanded its services from water systems to transportation engineering. By the 1970s, Stantec had over 50 employees and was working on international projects while continuing to diversify its service offerings. In 1983, Ron Triffo was appointed president, and Dr. Don Stanley became chairman and CEO. The company continued to expand in the 1980s and 1990s, completing its first acquisition in the US in 1991. In 1998, Tony Franceschini was named president and CEO. Stantec went public in 1994, listing on the Toronto Stock Exchange. Today, the company Dr. Stanley founded over 65 years ago now has around 22,000 employees working in over 400 locations globally.
Who is the CEO of Stantec Inc.?
Gord Johnston was the president and chief executive officer of Stantec in 2018. He joined the company in 1991 as a roadway designer and transportation planner. Over his 30-year career at Stantec, Johnston has taken on roles of increasing responsibility, including executive vice president of Stantec’s infrastructure business operating unit.
As CEO, Johnston leads Stantec’s 22,000 employees across North America, South America, Europe, the Middle East, India, and the Asia Pacific. He oversees the company’s operations and long-term strategy to advance its position as one of the top 10 global design firms. Stantec Inc. itself does not have a separate CEO. It operates as one of Stantec’s business units, providing integrated architecture and design services. Stantec’s design professionals collaborate across engineering, interior design, landscape architecture, and project management disciplines.
What is the mission of Stantec Inc.?
Stantec’s mission is to improve the quality of life in the communities it serves through its architecture, engineering, construction, and project management services. At the core of Stantec’s mission is a commitment to foster community and creativity. Their design process starts at the intersection of community, creativity, and client relationships to produce innovative and contextually appropriate solutions. With a long-term involvement in the places they serve, Stantec strives to create positive change from the initial concept through construction and beyond.
What are the most famous projects of Stantec Inc.?
Listed below are Stantec Inc.’s famous projects:
- Panama Canal Expansion in Panama: Stantec was the lead designer for the new third set of locks built parallel to the existing Panama Canal locks. This project allowed the Canal to double its cargo capacity and accommodate much larger modern ships. Stantec’s work included planning and designing the lock structures, water-saving basins, approach channels, and more.
- Stantec Tower in Edmonton, Canada: Stantec Tower is an iconic 66-storey skyscraper rising 800 feet (244 meters) above downtown Edmonton and is Stantec’s global headquarters. The building integrates innovative technology and sustainability features, including a district energy system, a green roof, and advanced IT infrastructure. The curves of the North Saskatchewan River valley inspired the Tower’s unique shape.
- Telus Spark Science Center in Calgary, Canada: Telus Spark Science Center made Stantec provide architecture, interior design, and exhibit design for this new science center. The building features creative geometry with angles and facets meant to inspire a spirit of innovation. Interactive exhibits allow 500,000 annual visitors to explore themes like energy, space, life, ingenuity, and more.
- Blatchford Redevelopment in Edmonton, Canada: The Blatchford massive redevelopment is converting a former airport site into a sustainable community for 30,000 residents. As the prime consultant, Stantec has planned infrastructure, transit connections, districts, streetscapes, etc. Blatchford aims to demonstrate renewable energy, innovative technology, and environmental sustainability.
- Keystone XL Pipeline in Canada to USA: Stantec was involved in the original design, permitting, and startup of this 1,179-mile pipeline system transporting Canadian crude oil to the USA. They later supported the Keystone XL Expansion project, adding capacity across the Canada-U.S. border.
- LAX Airport Modernization in Los Angeles, USA: Stantec is part of a joint venture team selected by Los Angeles Airport to modernize LAX facilities. The project will upgrade aging infrastructure and enhance the passenger experience over the next 15 years. Stantec’s role includes terminal planning, airside and landside improvements, transportation consulting, and more.
- Iqaluit International Airport in Iqaluit, Canada: Stantec was the lead consultant for this crucial Arctic airport serving the capital city of the Nunavut territory in Northern Canada. The project nearly doubled the size of the existing facility to improve safety, efficiency, and capacity. The iconic new terminal design reflects Inuit culture and the Northern landscape.
- Memorial University Recreation Complex in St. Johns, Canada: This athletics and recreation project for Memorial University of Newfoundland includes a fitness center, field house, squash courts, climbing wall, walking track, gymnasium, and more. Stantec provided the complex’s architecture, interior design, and building systems engineering.
- Halifax Infirmary Expansion in Halifax, Canada: A major healthcare campus expansion adding patient care, research, and education facilities to Atlantic Canada’s largest teaching hospital. Stantec was responsible for architecture, interior design, and technical building systems. The project includes a new adult outpatient center, a learning center, and a research wing.
- Perth Stadium in Perth, Australia: Stantec was part of the design team for this state-of-the-art, 60,000-seat stadium built on the banks of the Swan River. The facility hosts Australian rules football and cricket matches. Stantec’s services included civil engineering, transportation planning, environmental consulting, and infrastructure design.
Who are the most important clients of Stantec Inc.?
Listed below are the most important clients of Stantec Inc.:
- US Federal Government: Stantec has an extensive portfolio working with various federal agencies and departments, including the Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, Department of Veterans Affairs, General Services Administration, Department of State, and others. They have provided architecture, engineering, environmental, and construction services for federal infrastructure, healthcare, laboratory, office, aviation, and other facilities across the US and internationally.
- State and local governments: Stantec consistently ranks among the largest architecture, engineering, and construction firms working with state and local governments in the US. They have long-term contracts and master service agreements established with transportation authorities, public health agencies, K-12 school districts, higher education institutions, municipal planning departments, parks and recreation departments, public safety organizations, and other state and local government entities.
- National retail and restaurant chains: Stantec has a dedicated commercial building practice that serves national retailers, restaurants, grocery stores, pharmacies, banks, and other chains. They provide architecture, engineering, branding, graphics, and other services for new construction, renovations, adaptive reuse projects, and more.
- Residential developers: Stantec has designed over 6,000 residential projects, including master planned communities, neighborhoods, single-family homes, multi-family housing, and mixed-use developments with residential components located in urban, suburban, and rural settings across North America. Their clients include national and regional home builders, multi-family housing developers, and mixed-use development firms.
- Hospitals and healthcare systems: Stantec has thousands of completed healthcare projects with leading hospitals, medical centers, and health systems across the US and Canada. They provide integrated architecture, engineering, interior design, and other services for new construction modernization, and expansion projects. Stantec is consistently ranked among the most prominent and top-performing healthcare design firms globally.
- Universities and colleges: Higher education is a major market sector for Stantec. They have worked with hundreds of colleges and universities across North America providing campus master planning, facilities planning, architecture, engineering, and project management services for academic buildings, student housing, athletic facilities, student unions, and other campus projects.
- Commercial real estate developers: Stantec works with commercial real estate companies, REITs, and other developers on office buildings, mixed-use properties, industrial facilities, retail centers, hotels, and other commercial projects providing integrated planning, architecture, engineering, interior design, and other services.
- Telecommunications and technology firms: Stantec has worked on corporate campuses, data centers, research facilities, and other projects for prominent telecom companies like Telus as well as technology firms and startups in emerging fields such as clean technology, life sciences, and advanced manufacturing.
- Energy companies: Stantec provides planning, permitting, architecture, and engineering services to electric utilities, gas utilities, renewable energy developers, pipeline operators, and oil and gas companies for power plants, electrical substations, renewable energy facilities, compressor stations, liquefied natural gas terminals, refineries, corporate offices, and other energy sector projects.
What is the address of Stantec Inc.?
The address of Stantec Inc. is 400-10220 103 Street NW, Edmonton, AB. Canada, T5J 0K4. Stantec’s headquarters is in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, where the company was originally founded in 1954 by Dr. Don Stanley. Over decades, it has grown into one of the largest global design firms with over 400 office locations across North America, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, the Middle East, and beyond.
What is the contact phone number of Stantec Inc.?
The contact phone number of Stantec Inc. for general inquiries is +1-780-917-7000. In Headquarters is +1-780-917-7000. This is the phone number given on Stantec’s website for contacting their global headquarters office located at 400-10220 103 Street, Edmonton, AB Canada T5J 0K4.
How to apply to work for Stantec Inc.?
Here are the steps on how to apply for Stantec Inc.:
- Contact information: To apply for a job at Stantec, visit their careers website and search for open positions https://stantec.jobs. Stantec’s careers website allows you to search for open positions across its global network. Their passion is improving communities worldwide through projects like healthier hospitals, smarter schools, safer roadways, and more resilient waterways.
- Finding open positions: To explore available job opportunities at Stantec, visit the Stantec careers site, where you can conveniently navigate open positions based on location and job category. Mainly, the focus searches on roles within the “architecture” field, such as Architect, Architectural Designer, and Architectural Technologist. Stantec features job openings in architecture across various countries, including the United States, Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom. The organization provides diverse projects, from large-scale developments to challenging neighborhood initiatives, offering employees the chance to contribute to impactful work.
- Submitting an application: The application process is straightforward. Click “Apply Now” on the job posting, create an account if you don’t already have one, and proceed to upload your CV/resume and cover letter. Additionally, complete any required supplemental questions or forms before submitting your application to Stantec. Following the submission, you will receive confirmation, and you can conveniently track the status of your application through your online account. Anticipate a response within a few weeks.
- Interview process: The hiring process involves an online video interview, followed by in-person interviews, reference and background checks, and ultimately, the issuance of an offer letter. This comprehensive process generally takes 2-4 weeks from the initial application to receiving an offer. During interviews, be prepared to discuss your architectural experience design philosophy and showcase your portfolio as part of the evaluation process. Stantec’s global network provides a supportive environment for learning from others and gaining valuable new experiences.
What style of architecture does Stantec represent?
Stantec describes their architectural approach as “designs with community in mind.” Their buildings aim to “improve the quality of everyday life” and make “an iconic contribution” to the local area. They have expertise across many building types, including civic, commercial, healthcare, education, and more. Stantec emphasizes classical architectural language and principles. Their designers extensively study classical architecture, seeing it as an influential architectural “language” rather than a style. The company has worked on many classically-inspired projects, including higher education buildings. However, Stantec does not limit itself solely to classical forms. Their buildings showcase both “classical and vernacular architecture”, indicating they are also open to regional styles and contextual design. The Optus Stadium project is one example of incorporating local influences and heritage.
How important is it for architecture firms to follow the architecture fundamentals?
Architecture fundamentals are important for architecture firms to follow design excellence, business operations, collaborative processes, and ethical integrity. Architecture practices must demonstrate strong design capabilities rooted in aesthetics, spatial relationships, sustainability, contextual sensitivity, and engineering principles. Mastery of these technical skills and design thinking allows firms to meet client needs and create innovative, quality buildings. Firms should stay updated on emerging technologies, materials, codes, and best practices to maintain high standards. However, the design is only one piece. Running an architecture business requires strategic planning, financial management, marketing, HR, IT, and legal expertise. Firms must operate efficiently and profitably to remain viable. Understanding business fundamentals is vital.
Should all architecture companies have a portfolio?
Yes, a portfolio is an important component for any architecture firm, regardless of size or years in business. An architecture portfolio serves multiple purposes, making it invaluable for companies in this field. It provides visual evidence of their experience and skills, helping clients evaluate expertise and fit for a project. For less established firms, the portfolio builds credibility through demonstrated project knowledge. More experienced firms use their portfolio to highlight signature styles and technical competencies. The portfolio is a chance to make a solid first impression. The portfolio becomes a sales tool, and the website becomes a 24/7 resource for prospective clients researching options. For staff, the portfolio helps recruit talent by giving candidates a window into the firm’s design aesthetic and values. It communicates the types of projects and roles available. The portfolio showcases the kind of work employees can expect to produce.