Disclaimer | This article may contain affiliate links, this means that at no cost to you, we may receive a small commission for qualifying purchases.
Do you have stone flooring that is damaged and you want to renovate? Epoxy stone flooring is ideal for rebuilding your floor by replacing and covering it. Epoxy floors are easy to install, long lasting, and easy to maintain. Moreover, epoxy is resistant to stains and can withstand wear and tear.
What is epoxy?
This is a plastic material used to glue slate, marble, or pebbles together. It solidifies when it is exposed to air. This means that you can use it to hide flaws and repair your existing floors. Epoxy flooring is a preferred flooring material for garages, basements, laundry rooms, as well as walkways.
If you opt for epoxy stone flooring, the installation process will amaze you because it starts out in liquid form. Your floors are prepared for installation by sanding and cleaning them. Primer is then applied to the floor. Once it dries up, epoxy is applied.
To create a stone look, you can purchase several products. For instance, you can buy an epoxy that allows you to create a pebble finish. Depending on the look that you want, epoxy can be mixed with many other elements. Once the flooring is installed, you should give it 12 hours to set.
In 24 hours, you will start seeing the strength that epoxy flooring offers. However, it will take a week for you to fully appreciate the complete strength of this product. For best results, you need to allow the floor to set completely before you start using it.
Pros of epoxy flooring
- Resistant to fire, mold, and moisture – this flooring option is highly resistant to fires, mold, and moisture, making it an ideal flooring material.
- Easy application – the process of applying epoxy flooring is quite simple and does not take too much effort. This means that there is less chance of the installer messing up the job.
- Strong flooring – epoxy offers you the strongest flooring, which is more than any other type of flooring can provide.
- Strong adhesive properties – epoxy flooring has strong adhesive properties, meaning that it is a lot easier to install than other floors.
- Can withstand damage – this floor is built to withstand heavy traffic, wear and tear, as well as heavy items.
- Low maintenance – with an epoxy floor, you will not need to clean as often. Epoxy requires very little upkeep on your part.
Cons of epoxy flooring
- It takes up to 12 hours to dry – this can be a huge inconvenience for people who have nowhere to go during the installation time.
- Time consuming – although the installation itself is quite easy, it takes up too much time because of drying. The larger a space is, the more time it will take to dry.
- Allergies – the chemical compounds in epoxy can sometimes cause allergies when one is exposed to them.
According to Cindy W. the owner of TFL, the pros far outweigh the cons if you are considering epoxy stone flooring. If you can overlook the time factor, then epoxy flooring is the ideal floor for maximum strength with fewer hurdles. Therefore, you need to decide what is more important to you.
Epoxy flooring maintenance
As it ages, epoxy flooring darkens in color. If it undergoes extremely high foot traffic or significant water damage, resealing is necessary. You should enlist the help of a professional for your epoxy stone flooring maintenance.
Why do need the services of a professional? The adhesive used for stone flooring is not easily available. Moreover, attempting to install epoxy stone flooring on your own can prove disastrous.
Always keep in mind that there are numerous flooring options out there, choose whatever suits your need!